Will the Libyan People Keep their Citizenship Benefits?
Now that Gaddafi is Gone?
The Libyan people enjoyed the highest standard of living under President Muammar Gadaffi on the African continent. Since his assassination and the subsequent mutilation of his body the country has fallen into chaos.
Fighting has not stopped among fighters loyal to the previous Libyan government against its enemies. A spokesman for the new government said recently that the ‘international community’ has frozen Libyan assets of about $150 Billion around the world and that he wants them to give the Libyans their money back.
Indeed the previous Libyan standard of living seems in peril. Here are a few of the benefits Libyans enjoyed.
1. Free Electricity
2. No interest on loans
3. Having a home considered as a human right.
4. All newlyweds receiving $50,000 to begin buying a home and starting a family.
5. Free Education and Medical Treatment.
6. A farm, house, equipment, livestock and seeds for those interested in farming.
7. A $2300 a month allowance for education abroad plus a car allowance for studying.
8. A government subsidy of 50% on a car purchase.
9. Gas at .14 a gallon
10. After graduation if a Libyan is unable to find work the government would pay the average salary of the profession until the Libyan obtains a job.
11. A portion of every Libyan oil sale is credited to the bank accounts of all Libyan citizens.
12. $5000 is given to the family every time a child is born.
13. A loaf of bread costs .15.
14. \25% of Libyans have a university degree.
15. A man made lake provides water throughout the desert country.
16. Libya has no external debt and no budget deficit.